WACHUSETT REGIONAL SCHOOL DISTRICT Holden-Paxton-Princeton-Rutland-Sterling
Planning the Fundations Timeframe
The following information, recommended by Fundations program authors, will help to plan instruction that matches the Fundations guidelines for Tier I instruction.
- Fundations will not be combined with any other program for Tier I instruction
- Letter-sound correspondence and letter formation should betaught in the Fundations sequence
- The 15 week Kindergarten sequence of letter formation/letter-sound correspondence should be completed by the end of January (so as to prepare students for Readers’ and Writers' Workshop)
- The 3 week first grade sequence of letter formation/letter-sound correspondence review should be completed by late September
- The 2 week second grade review of sounds and spelling rules (Unit 1) should be completed by late September
- Lesson activity plans from the teacher’s guide should be used as a basis for instruction
- Daily instruction may vary from 15-30 minutes depending on the needs of the class
What is the District Approach to Phonics?
The District utilizes the Fundations approach to phonics. This program is a phonological/phonemic awareness, phonics, spelling, and handwriting program for the general education classroom. Fundations is based upon the Wilson Reading System® principles and serves as a prevention program to help reduce reading and spelling failure.
This Tier I program will be implemented during our daily phonics block. As the year progresses, the amount of time allocated daily may vary slightly depending on the needs of the students. Those students who do not respond adequately to this Tier I approach should receive Tier II support in relevant skill areas. Tier II intervention may involve further Fundations support or supplemental approaches that blend well with program components.
Lessons in the program focus on carefully sequenced skills that include print knowledge, alphabet awareness, phonological awareness, phonemic awareness, decoding, fluency, and spelling. The Fundations program provides a timeline and sequence for introduction of letters and sounds.
Order Fundations Materials